Imagine a stash of crunchy, savoury, salty tasting low fat raw vegan crackers with no salt added and with just a couple of spoons of healthy flax in a whole bunch of them! Sounds like a dream? Let’s make this dream come true!
Ripening tomatoes for your low fat raw vegan crackers
We are going to need a whole load of ripe tomatoes. And kind of tomatoes will do, but try to ripen them up if they were not perfectly ripe in the store already. All you need to ripen them is to place them on your window seal in one layer and let them sit there until they ripen. Avoid leaving tomatoes in cold temperatures, this might prevent them from ever being able to ripen again.
How do you know that your tomatoes are ripe? The most important sign of ripeness is the brightness of colour plus softness. You might also be able to smell the deliciousness of the sweet and savoury flavour. And of cause you can test them by tasting one.
Now, when our tomatoes are ready, let’s dig into our cracker making adventure. First, let’s decide how many dehydrator sheets full of crackers you would like to get. Each 2 litre blender-full (like Vitamix) will give you about 3 dehydrator trays of crackers.
I used 2 tablespoons of flax in each blender-full. If you have a very sensitive digestion, you might want to soak your flax seeds for about 2-4 hours. This way, you will be able to digest them much more efficiently with much less discomfort.
If you have trouble digesting seeds, it might mean that your gut flora is not used to seeds anymore. So you need to start from very small amounts, like one teaspoon of soaked flax seeds on a whole blender full of cracker batter.
By adding seeds a tiny bit at a time and slowly increasing your consumption, you will start to slowly re-grow your healthy seed-loving gut flora. And in a few moths you will be able to digest these healthy and nutritionally important seeds with no issues.
Feeling impatient to get your low fat raw vegan crackers?
If you are feeling inpatient, you can toss all of the ingredients in your blender immediately without extra ripening or soaking. It will be just fine too.
Each 2 liter blender-full will give you about 3 dehydrator trays full of crackers. So to fill up a 9-tray dehydrator, you will need to make 3 bender-fulls.
The low fat raw vegan cracker recipe for one 2-litre blender-full
- About 5-8 tomatoes (depending on their size), to fill up the whole 2-liter blender
- 1 sweet potato (about 200 grams)
- 2 tablespoons of flax or chia seeds
- 1 or more cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp. of cumin (optional)
- Fill up the whole 2-litre blender with tomatoes. For a smaller blender reduce the amount of ingredients accordingly.
- Blend tomatoes.
- Add sweet potato, garlic, cumin and soaked or un-soaked flax seeds (if you have a weak blender, you might want to grind the seeds in a coffee grinder and mix them in by hand. If you soaked your seeds, you will need to dry them first in this case.)
- Blend everything again
- You got yourself a simple basic low fat raw vegan cracker batter
- Now, if you want to get it fancier, you can add other nuts or seeds, chopped or grind veggies, mushrooms, seaweeds, herbs, spices, etc. Let your imagination fly! Just remember, that more nuts or seeds will make your crackers fattier.
- When you are ready, spread your batter on a dehydrator tray covered by dehydrator sheet or parchment paper. Spread on a whole sheet, leaving a little space on the sides. We need to spread it more or less evenly without spending too much time on it. It needs to be at least 1 cm or 0,5 inch thick, because it’s going to shrink a lot. And if we make it too thin, it might develop lots of cracks. Which is not the end of the world, so don’t worry about it too much. 🙂
- If you want to fill up your dehydrator, you can make more batter or you can fill it up with other fun stuff, like sliced onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, bananas, pears, etc.
- Dehydrate your goodies at 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 4-5 hours, flip everything, take sheets away and let dehydrate for another 8-12 hours, until crisp.
- To preserve the crispiness of your crackers and other crispy goodness, store them in an air-tight containers in a cool place. It doesn’t have to be a fridge, just a kitchen cabinet.
How to enjoy your low fat raw vegan crackers
Make sure to drink even more water, green or veggie juices or herbal teas than usual. Dehydrated treats are dehydrating, so try to keep your body as hydrated as possible.
Make sure to eat your crackers with a big juicy salad or just a bunch of juicy veggies. You can slice avocado, tomato and cucumber or top of your crackers to enjoy them as a travel snack or a jealousy-worthy lunch at work.
Enjoy and let me know who you liked them, how did you make them fancier and if you have any questions, make sure to bombard me with them, because I love it! Thank you! xxxx